10/22/2007

The Minnesota State Fair

The Minnesota State Fair is held for two weeks until Labor day in Saint Paul. I heard that the Minnesota State Fair is the largest State Fair in United States. I don't know if that is true or not, but the fair was huge! Everything in the states is big for me, so I have I wouldn't be surprised at what I see anymore. But I was! I can't understand why you keep such a vast land for State Fair held only for two weeks. If you try to do the same thing in Japan, everyone would get mad and send complaint letters to governors! Anyway, the Fair was huge and I couldn't see everything in there. It takes several days to see everyting in the Fair.

I went there with my host family. My host kids love animals and I am an Animal Science student, so we focused on the farm area. First, we went to 'The Miracle of Birth' barn to see the moms and baby animals. This was my host mom's favorite part. They gathered pregnant animals in this barn such as cows, horses, pigs, goats, sheeps, and ducks. They were giving birth everyday during the fair. You can attend a birth if you are lucky. We didn't have that oppotunity, but we could touch all different kind of animal babies. They were warm, cozy and tiny objects.

There was several barns for each farm animal, horses, cows, and pigs. My favorite one was the cattle barn. There were many breeds I'd never seen. I was so excited! And there was a competition. The farmers combed their cow's fur and trimmed their hooves. The cattles in my school farm were always dirty. I don't think they never trimmed thir fur. Therefore the cattles in the barn were so beautifu for me.

My host kid's favorite was the horse barn because he loves horses, but he was scared when he saw real one. When we entered the barn, the mountain police from Canada was getting ready for the parade. Each policeman had a horse. We could see how they harnessed the horses. They were also beautiful in the harnesses with the maple trademark on their hips. After making a roll call, they went to the parade.

The Fair also had some rides. We rode on the gondola. We could see everything in the fair from the sky. But I couldn't see where the end of the fair was because the fair was huge.

After that, we got a famous cookie bucket for $13, which were delicious! I wish I could buy these cookies anytime I want. I loved them. I can't wait the fair next year. I can't wait for seeing farm animals and eating yummy cookies again!

No comments: