10/10/2007

Express more!

I found out that to express myself is the hardest thing for me in the United States. I don't tell many things. This is because I don't think that to tell everything to other peoples is always the best way . So sometimes people think I am shy, but I'm not, I just don't want to express myself out loud.

I was surprised how people express their feelings a lot when I moved to United States. Americans, Brazilians, Mexicans...everyone except Japanese. They laugh a lot, are quick to cry, and get angry everyday. I thought this is too much. You may say this Japanese girl has no emotion, but this is my way. Why do you need to tell everything out loud?

Sometimes my friends tell me 'I talk to you and you just listen. Don't you want to tell me something?' But I answer them 'No, that's okay. I enjoy your story and I have nothing to tell you now. I will start talking when I have something to tell you.' Just because the different how many stories do you have you want to share with your friends.

I think this is a part of Japanese culture, we are good at reading the minds of others. We guess what the others are thinking about. Then we find out what we can do for the person. I think most of Japanese do this way. But in the United States, if you don't say anything, nobody understands you. This is the difference. In Japan Silence is Golden.

EDIT:
I went to Minnesota Science museum this weekend and found the Einstein's saying on a mugcup. It goes
If A equals success, then the formula is A = X + Y + Z.
X is work.
Y is play.
Z is keep your mouth shut

No comments: