1/31/2008

Daylight Impact

It was January 17th and a perfectly normal Thursday. It was pretty cold but the sun came out. I send my host boy to the busstop and went to story time at Highland park library with my host girl. We had good fried rice from Taste of Thailand which was left-over from my birthday party the night before. See, it was a normal day.

After the girl's nap time, we decided to go to a library to pick up books and play at the children's area. Usually we choose Highland park one, but we already went there that day. Also that day was the last day for my ESL teacher Lisa to come to the Rondo library. I remembered that Lisa told me that she had never seen my host kids and wanted to meet them. So I asked the kids how about going to my school and they loved to go. We drove to Rondo.

I asked 'Can we say hi to my teacher?' to kids. They said 'No! I want to go to the kid's section right away!' 'Okay Okay (well, I can bring them even if they don't want to)' the conversation went so.

So, we arrived at the liberary and put the books into the box, headed to teacher's room (kids were asking where we were going and I said nothing) to say hi to Lisa and other teachers. We got to the room and Lisa was there. The kids were a little shy at first but I don't know why they got so excited that we stayed and talked maybe about 30 minutes. I was supposed to just say hi but the kids were just excited and wouldn't go, we stayed.

After Lisa got bored with my kids, I managed kids to say bye to her and headed to children's area. Then, we ran into my class mate Korse, we said hi to eachother and were having a small chat. Right when we were saying bye to each other, something boomed out and everyone in the library stopped motions. I didn't think it was a big thing, and I headed to the children's area with the host kids. The closer we went to the area, I noticed the more people went to the same dirction where we were heading and talking about something bad. But I still didn't get what had happened. When we got to the area, I realized at last.

Tons of people surrounded the childrens area. They were looking at something. I am so short that I couldn't see what was something. But we managed to squeeze our bodies and got to the front line. I lost my voice. So did my host kids. It was a car crash. The car crashed into the window on the children's area. Fragments of broken glass covered all of the children's area. A familiar peaceful sight changed into'accident scene'. The headlight on the car was sticking in the children's area. The driver was already carried out to somewhere. There was only a broken car and broken glass.

The people were talking, wondering what had happened and how this crash was crazy. Nobody knew what had happened because nobody was around there when the crash occured. Nobody got hurt. No children were there in children's area. But we were supposed to be there. If there wasn't Lisa in the teacher room, If my host kids were shy enough to leave Lisa little earlier, if I didn't see Korse...I could't stop thinking for a while.

We changed place to Highland park library and had a good time.
I couldn't see Lisa that day (suppose to be a party for Lisa) which is sad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi miyuki~it's Sam. Luckily no one hurt in the horrible accident, that was so close. I haven't been there for a long time so i don't know this. How are you doing these days?